Common Causes of Car Accidents at Intersections in Utah
Tagged with: Car Accidents |
Each year, approximately 2.5 million car accidents take place at intersections in the United States. These accidents account for about 40 percent of all collisions. Sadly, accidents at intersections often result in serious injuries.
If you were the victim of a car accident at an intersection, it is a good idea to contact a personal injury attorney who can provide you with legal advice and guidance. Attorney Lynn Harris can help car accident injury victims file a lawsuit to secure compensation for their injuries.
What Are the Causes of Car Accidents at Intersections?
Even if you do everything right as a driver, such as obey the speed limit, drive defensively, and remain attentive, you can still be the victim of an auto accident on account of another driver’s carelessness.
Often, car accidents that occur at intersections result from one or more of the following causes:
- Running a Red Light: Drivers do not always decelerate when the light turns yellow. In some cases, drivers speed up to try to beat the light. They may mistake the amount of time they have to clear the intersection and, as a result, cause a collision.
- Aggressive Driving: Aggressive driving poses a hazard on the road. Speeding, dangerous passing, and ignoring stop signs are just a few aggressive maneuvers that lead to intersection crashes.
- Failure to Yield: Sometimes, drivers mistakenly assume they have the right-of-way when approaching an intersection. Other times they neglect to yield by choice. No matter the cause, the end result may be a collision.
- Distracted Driving: Distracted driving is the leading cause of auto accidents. Examples include texting, talking on the phone, and playing with the stereo or radio.
- Driving Under the Influence: Driving while intoxicated is dangerous at all times. Drunk drivers are more likely to make poor decisions and lose control of their vehicle.
- Malfunctions: Some intersection crashes are beyond the driver’s control. For example, a malfunctioning traffic light can result in confusion and lead to a serious collision.
How Can a Car Accident Lawyer Help Accident Victims?
Sadly, auto accidents at intersections often lead to serious injuries including traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury, lung contusions, and broken bones.
It is important to establish that the other driver was responsible for your injury to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve. Our attorneys will work to collect police reports, witness statements, vehicle maintenance records, photos of the accident, and other evidence. Using this information, we can begin to build a case to prove the other driver was at fault.
Contact an Auto Accident Lawyer
If you suffered an injury in an auto accident, it is essential that you contact an attorney who specializes in these cases. Personal injury attorney Lynn Harris will fight to protect your rights and show that the other driver is liable. Find out how he can help you by contacting us online or calling (801) 521-3200 or (801) 375-9801 now.