Auto Accidents and Street Racing Can Result in Injury or Fatality
Tagged with: Auto Accidents | Personal Injury | Wrongful Death |
Street racing is one of the leading causes of auto accidents and wrongful death. In many cases, the street racer leaves the site unharmed but causes destruction and injury to innocent victims. Unfortunately, street racing is becoming more common, resulting in serious auto accidents and injuries. Personal injury attorney Lynn C. Harris in Salt Lake City, UT, understands Utah law and will seek maximum compensation for victims injured as a result of auto accidents and street racing.
Common Causes of Auto Accidents and Street Racing
When street racing, cars often reach speeds well above 100mph. When this happens, it can make it difficult to maintain complete control of the vehicle. Amateur drivers have not received training on how to properly handle a car at high speeds. One bump in the road or a minor shift of the steering wheel can cause a car to swerve out of control, resulting in impact with nearby cars, streetlights, and concrete barriers.
While high speed is generally the cause of these types of accidents, there are other factors that can cause car accidents involved in street racing:
- Drunk Driving: Toxic levels of alcohol inhibit a person’s ability to focus and make sound decisions, making it difficult to drive and manage a vehicle. Not only will driving drunk result in a serious fine and possible jail time, but it can cause severe or fatal injury.
- Poor Weather Conditions: Rain, snow, fog, and other weather conditions can make roads slick and difficult to see. When you combine these conditions with high speeds it can result in fatality or severe injury.
- Red Lights: Running a red light at normal speeds can cause multiple collisions and serious injury, but when street racers ignore a red light or are unable to stop due to high speeds, it places the driver and people in other cars in grave danger and can cause tragic accidents.
- Road Rage: Anger can cloud judgment and cause drivers to drive aggressively. When this is combined with high speeds, it can cause a multiple car collision.
Injuries that Can Occur from Street Racing
Injury from a street racing auto accident is typically inevitable. If victims survive the impact, it can lead to long-term disability, ongoing medical care and physical therapy, inability to work, and loss of income. Common injuries include:
- Cuts, lacerations, and burns
- Organ damage and internal bleeding
- Broken bones
- Spinal cord injury
- Traumatic brain injury
- Partial or complete paralysis
If the victim loses his or her life, it will permanently and significantly impact a family’s life forever, especially if that family member was the sole income for the household. Whether the victim is severely injured or loses his or her life, Lynn C. Harris will fight on your behalf for maximum compensation.
Contact Our Office
If you have been involved in an auto accident caused by street racing, it is imperative that you contact a lawyer immediately to handle your case. There are steps that must be taken initially to help protect your rights. To schedule your consultation, please contact our practice online or call (866) 571-0939.